Menu

Replacing Outdated Ceiling Fans


About Me

Replacing Outdated Ceiling Fans

When I was a teenager, my family moved into a spacious farmhouse. The lovely blue, wooden home contained grand cathedral ceilings in the great room. Because the ceilings in this room were so high, the room was often hard to cool during the summer months. So, my parents installed ceiling fans in this beautiful space. Now that the home is over twenty years old, my parents need to replace their outdated ceiling fans. However, my dad doesn’t have any experience replacing light fixtures. Do you want to remove an old, malfunctioning ceiling fan in your home, but don’t know how to safely accomplish the task? On this blog, you will discover the benefits of hiring an electrician to replace light fixtures in your home. Enjoy!

Archive

Latest Posts

4 Signs That You May Have Problems With Your Electrical Wiring
8 October 2015

Most modern homes use electricity. However, becaus

Electrical Advice: 5 Tips For Keeping Your Household Wires Tangle-Free
6 October 2015

With technology comes wires and plugs. Laptops, ce

Why An Electrician Can Help Your Business
15 September 2015

Have you just purchased office space? If so, you w

How To Create Your Own Transformer
8 September 2015

Most standard outlets in North America are set up

The Benefits Of Using Solar Power At Home
2 September 2015

Solar power uses the sun's UV rays to provide elec

4 Signs That You May Have Problems With Your Electrical Wiring

Most modern homes use electricity. However, because you are used to having electricity on in your home, you might not be aware of signs that you have an electrical wiring problem that could lead to injuries and damage to your home if left unchecked. Here are just some of the signs that you might have wiring problems in your house.

Dimming and Flickering Lights

If you have a few lights in your home that always flicker, you might think you just need to replace the bulbs. However, if you find that you do that frequently, or that a new bulb doesn't seem to fix the problem, there may be a wiring issue. There could be a loose connection or you may need a dedicated line for big appliances and certain parts of your home.

Buzzing, Vibrations and Shocks

If you plug in a lamp or appliance and feel tingling in your fingers or hear a buzzing sound, there is a good chance that there is faulty wiring that could cause you to be injured. You should be able to operate every electrical thing in your home without having to notice that it uses electricity, so if you are feeling something or hearing something when you plug in and unplug things, you need to call an electrician before you are hurt.

Older Homes

If you have an older home, you may have aluminum wiring instead of copper wiring. This can be a problem because aluminum contracts and expands as the temperature goes up and down. That can lead to loose connections in your home, and more importantly, aluminum wiring can put your home at risk for a fire. Consult an electrician to determine whether you have aluminum or copper wiring and to determine whether you need to have your wiring replaced.

Burning Smell

A burning smell when you plug in an appliance can be a serious sign that something is wrong. It is hard to find the source of the burning smell, so if this happens to you, shut off the main electrical switch and call an electrician right away to get to the bottom of this problem.

Now that you are aware of some signs that could mean you have problems with the wiring in your house, be sure to get in touch with a local electrical contractor. McCaine Electric Ltd offers Energy Management Solutions, so consider a company like that. They can assess the condition of the wiring in your home so that you can be confident that your home is safe.